?

Log in

No account? Create an account
For Robin and Lizzie, mostly - But here in my heart, I give you the best of my love.

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> Doogie's Delusions

Links
Classy Sports Commentary
Pirates Blog
Origuymi
Erin's blog
Tril's blog
Robin's blog
Lynds
Aaron's blog
KC Royals Pitcher: Brian Anderson
Austin's blog
Ed Barnes: On the Road
Yoouuuuuuuuuk
Newzie's Blog
ckd's blog
Cosmic Ray
Dan's new blog
Rabbi Andy's blog
Geezer Pirate
Josh the Younger
Watchman
Jim Norton (He just sucks)
Frank Longbottom (PTM journal)
Old Frank Longbottom Journal (PTM RPG Journal)
Augustus Rookwood (PTM journal)
Frank Longbottom (Cataclysm RPG journal)
Captain Lord Ivan Vorpatril (Vor RPG journal)
Lord Richars Vorrutyer (Vor RPG journal)
Byerly Vorrutyer (Vor LJ RPG journal)
FF chart (potential TMI)

May 22nd, 2006


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
08:36 am - For Robin and Lizzie, mostly

At the risk of sounding like a hard-line conservative, I would be just as happy if livejournal said no pictures of naked breasts in any form were allowed at all.
I'm not for shoving nursing mothers into closets to breastfeed, but I fail to understand how restricting breastfeeding images (and only as the default icon) in any way restrict the right to breastfeed.

I'm getting a little tired of the entitlement attitude that says it's okay for MEEEEEE to do whatever the hell I want, with no thought for the not unreasonable sentiments of others. Breastfeeding is an intimate act between mother and child. To me, a picture of that intimate a nature is simply inappropriate. It makes me feel like I'm intruding on something special and sacred and I don't like feeling that way. But my feelings are, of course, less important than their right to shove their boobs in my face. Bah.

Of course, having said that, I was thinking I should get rid of my topless Kapler picture, but of course, it's not my default icon, so it's okay.


Current Mood: awakeawake
Tags: ,

(9 Represent the voice of the people | Request an audience)

Comments:


From:snagglepuss2
Date:May 22nd, 2006 01:29 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm getting a little tired of the entitlement attitude that says it's okay for MEEEEEE to do whatever the hell I want, with no thought for the not unreasonable sentiments of others.

I think you just capsulized this country -- and some members of both political parties -- for the last 50 years.
[User Picture]
From:lizzielizzie
Date:May 22nd, 2006 02:49 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Re: paragraph 2. Thank you for stating how I feel on the issue.

Entitlement is a disgusting attitude that everyone should endeavor to get rid of, not encourage.
[User Picture]
From:tober
Date:May 22nd, 2006 03:17 pm (UTC)
(Link)
While I will defend your right to breastfeed an icon with vigor, I'm not so sure that feeding an icon is a good use of your mom-juice.
[User Picture]
From:flasherz
Date:May 22nd, 2006 03:37 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Since a few people on my friends list are on both sides of this huge debate, I've been watching it closely. Frankly, I'm laughing at some of the conclusions being reached.

If you read the comments, you'll see some people reaching legal conclusions that because California permits exception to public indecency laws for breastfeeding mothers in public, it's a legal requirement for web site operators to allow them to post any breastfeeding pictures they want. I'm scratching my head on that one, but they're obviously not lawyers worth a damn.
[User Picture]
From:cassie_o
Date:May 22nd, 2006 04:15 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I agree about pictures of breastfeeding. They should not be around. I would not want one of me breastfeeding.

Having an icon does not restrict the restrict the right to breastfeed at all. It is called being considerate of others.
From:(Anonymous)
Date:June 1st, 2006 02:18 am (UTC)

Ban it all!

(Link)
Okay, then let's ban nekkid feet and teeth, because I hate looking at them and it is all about ME. I also hate tongues, piercings and tattoos. On second thought, let's just ban all photos, because some of the people out there are just damned ugly. As someone who breastfed and believes in it strongly, I have NEVER shoved my "boob" in anyone's face that wasn't my husband or offspring. I have even managed to learn to nurse twins while showing less cleveage than most women show on a day at the beach. My point? Someone will always complain about some icon - this week it's breastfeeding. You don't want pictures of you breastfeeding - don't take them. You don't want to see pictures of other people breastfeeding - close your eyes.
[User Picture]
From:mdyesowitch
Date:June 1st, 2006 01:09 pm (UTC)

Re: Ban it all!

(Link)
I'm sure you expect me to delete this post, and, as it's clearly a troll, I should, but, since you clearly didn't comprehend what I said, I'll restate it. Maybe I'll use smaller words this time.

Your argument is specious at best. Your very reaction shows why. It's a controversial topic. I think they have a policy that bans profanity on default icons as well, another controversial topic. I think it's fine to direct default icons away from controversial topics. I don't go around harassing people over their icons. By and large, if an icon offends me, I do exactly as you suggest, I ignore it. That doesn't mean I think there should be a proliferation of controversial icons everywhere.

I generally have no way of knowing whether an icon is a default icon or not. I generally don't care. I'm not going to use the "just think of the children" argument, which ironically is useful on both sides here, just proving how ridiculous an argument it is, but is that really what you want someone's first impression of you to be? A nutrition delivery system?

I haven't worked through all my issues with the breastfeeding icons. I certainly prefer not to see anyone's breasts, but that's a personal thing. I prefer not to see nursing in general because it's a stark reminder of my current inability to conceive, again, a personal issue. But somewhere in all this stack of personal issues and hangups I might have there's a very good reason not to have breastfeeding icons. It's a controversial hot-button item that upsets people for no good reason. Is it really such a hardship to select the breastfeeding icon when you want one? Oh, I know, that's not the point, it's the PRINCIBLE of the thing. Well, it's a stupid principal. And just so you know, if you were a guest in my home, I would do whatever I could to make you comfortable while you breastfeed, and I probably wouldn't even kill you and kidnap your child to raise as mine own.
And PS: If they allow breastfeeding icons, there is absolutely zero reason to not allow other icons, more than just naked feet, and piercings, but also profanity, graphic sex (now animated! for your viewing pleasure) etc. To me, they're all the same. I suspect that to you, they're different, but then you're the one making the arbitrary distinctions anyway.

Next time, try signing your post. I'm a rational, thinking person who can respond to even unreasonable posts with reasonable statements. Apparently I can't use smaller words though.
From:(Anonymous)
Date:June 1st, 2006 09:20 pm (UTC)

Re: Ban it all!

(Link)
Sorry, smaller words might be necessary. I thought you knew that *I* was the anon poster on your blog. :-P Actually fewer words would be better, your narrative didn't retain my attention... I just scanned it. I guess my point is that if you ban breastfeeding icon, please ban bottle feeding icons and dinner too. I truly (and you know how *I* feel about nudity in general) believe that there is a huge difference between a bare breast for the sake of showing a breast and the slight curve/hint of breast with the back of a baby's head showing.
[User Picture]
From:mdyesowitch
Date:June 1st, 2006 09:57 pm (UTC)

Re: Ban it all!

(Link)
Aye, there's the rub. Breastfeeding icons have more in common with breasts than they do with feeding. Although I do have friend who are anorexic who probably find food icons sickening.
Still, it harkens back to my original point about generally controversial.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com